With recession taking over majority of economies across the globe, securing your job has become the top most priority. The scenario is same across different verticals and for programmers it is even worse. As the resource pool of PHP developers is expanding, the crunch of right projects and jobs is also deepening. Organizations are paying emphasis on quality rather than quantity. It’s all about the survival of the fittest. Getting your hands on a handsomely paying project is not just a matter of luck. It also readily depends on the quality services rendered by you as a developer. A PHP web development project requires you to have in-depth knowledge of the language and deploy industry best practices. As you scan your clientele in hope of grabbing onto the next breakthrough project, here are some coding best practices that can get you through the stringent quality evaluations of even the daintiest clients:
- Get Friendly with Single Quoted Strings: Using single quotes over double quotes gives you a marginal performance benefit, especially if you are coding some intricate project. A PHP string that is surrounded in double quotes is misinterpreted as variables and special characters by PHP interpreter. If you want a single string output, it is best to use single quotes. It enhances the performance of your PHP application as the string doesn’t get parsed.
- Don’t Use Regular Expressions Unnecessarily: Keep safe distance from ereg and preg function groups as and when possible, especially if you are performing basic string operations. When str_replace and strtr functions are faster than preg_replace ,why do you wish to stick with old school functions? Move on and save your application from those crunch cycles.
- Short Open Tags are a Big No-No: Are you still torturing your PHP application with short tags? It time you show some mercy. <? Is just a bad code form and creates conflict with XML parsers. It will also annoy people who will try modifying your code in PHP directives. So, you won’t find even a single justification for using open tags. Use full tags instead and let your application breathe.
- Keep Functions out of Loop Declarations: Using functions inside loops is not a great idea. It is annoying to see how some developers stake the performance of the application to save an extra line of code. If you use a function inside a loop, it will get executed as and when iteration initiates. If you have a bigger loop, this will mean you are increasing the execution time, which is not a bit user-friendly.
- Document Your Code: You might have heard it a hundred times, but it in no means depreciates its value. Documenting your code means you value your hard work as well as your client’s investment in the programming phase. Many organizations will hire you just on the basis of your documentation habits.
- Variable Initialization is a Must: If you don’t initialize a variable, PHP will create it automatically, but it is best not to rely on this feature. The code becomes sloppy and god forbids if you have to track down the initiating point of the variable, you will have scan through the entire code. Moreover, incrementing of an uninitialized variable takes more time than that of initialized variable. So, it’s best to initialize a variable.
PHP web development can be a tricky job, especially when so many others are keeping a watch, waiting to grab any opportunity that comes their way. It is best to follow best practices and adhere to stringent quality standards, to rapidly increase your client base.
Author :- Steve Graham is an expert in PHP Web Development, who has been blogging on the niche for last 6 years. Currently, he is associated as a freelancer with a PHP development firm that deals in PHP Development Outsourcing.
Random Search Terms
Search Unleased: A custom WordPress plugin
Most all WordPress theme’s use a a simple search form to search your site. But what it you wanted to...
Limit the characters that display on the_title
Ever wanted to display the title of a post somewhere but limit the amount of characters that are shown? For...
The launch of WordPress.tv
Hey, in case you are unaware, WordPress has launched a new site called WordPress.tv. Check out the full post at...
powered by WassUp
Recent Posts: Fully Net Worth . com
Harry Hains was an Australian actor known to many for playing on American Horror Story. He is also the son of famous actress Jane Badler. Harry Hains net worth before his death is estimated to be $700,000. Harry was born on December 4, 1992, in Melbourne, Australia to Stephen Hains and Jane Badler. He had […]
Gabby Morrison is a young American social media star who is best known for creating videos on the popular and trendy platform TikTok. In a short amount of time, Morrison has been able to garner over 2.1 million followers on the platform where she has received close to 70 million likes for her videos already. […]
Tony Lopez is an American Tik Tok star who is best known for his skills as a dancer and along with his older brother, Ondreaz Lopez completes the synergy of The Lopez Brothers. He has over 2.4 million followers on his profile on Tik Tok where he has received more than 40 million likes so […]