With recession taking over majority of economies across the globe, securing your job has become the top most priority. The scenario is same across different verticals and for programmers it is even worse. As the resource pool of PHP developers is expanding, the crunch of right projects and jobs is also deepening. Organizations are paying emphasis on quality rather than quantity. It’s all about the survival of the fittest. Getting your hands on a handsomely paying project is not just a matter of luck. It also readily depends on the quality services rendered by you as a developer. A PHP web development project requires you to have in-depth knowledge of the language and deploy industry best practices. As you scan your clientele in hope of grabbing onto the next breakthrough project, here are some coding best practices that can get you through the stringent quality evaluations of even the daintiest clients:
- Get Friendly with Single Quoted Strings: Using single quotes over double quotes gives you a marginal performance benefit, especially if you are coding some intricate project. A PHP string that is surrounded in double quotes is misinterpreted as variables and special characters by PHP interpreter. If you want a single string output, it is best to use single quotes. It enhances the performance of your PHP application as the string doesn’t get parsed.
- Don’t Use Regular Expressions Unnecessarily: Keep safe distance from ereg and preg function groups as and when possible, especially if you are performing basic string operations. When str_replace and strtr functions are faster than preg_replace ,why do you wish to stick with old school functions? Move on and save your application from those crunch cycles.
- Short Open Tags are a Big No-No: Are you still torturing your PHP application with short tags? It time you show some mercy. <? Is just a bad code form and creates conflict with XML parsers. It will also annoy people who will try modifying your code in PHP directives. So, you won’t find even a single justification for using open tags. Use full tags instead and let your application breathe.
- Keep Functions out of Loop Declarations: Using functions inside loops is not a great idea. It is annoying to see how some developers stake the performance of the application to save an extra line of code. If you use a function inside a loop, it will get executed as and when iteration initiates. If you have a bigger loop, this will mean you are increasing the execution time, which is not a bit user-friendly.
- Document Your Code: You might have heard it a hundred times, but it in no means depreciates its value. Documenting your code means you value your hard work as well as your client’s investment in the programming phase. Many organizations will hire you just on the basis of your documentation habits.
- Variable Initialization is a Must: If you don’t initialize a variable, PHP will create it automatically, but it is best not to rely on this feature. The code becomes sloppy and god forbids if you have to track down the initiating point of the variable, you will have scan through the entire code. Moreover, incrementing of an uninitialized variable takes more time than that of initialized variable. So, it’s best to initialize a variable.
PHP web development can be a tricky job, especially when so many others are keeping a watch, waiting to grab any opportunity that comes their way. It is best to follow best practices and adhere to stringent quality standards, to rapidly increase your client base.
Author :- Steve Graham is an expert in PHP Web Development, who has been blogging on the niche for last 6 years. Currently, he is associated as a freelancer with a PHP development firm that deals in PHP Development Outsourcing.
Random Search Terms
New theme release: CULT[i]VATE
Doing theme modification and even custom template files has brought me to this point. Today I've created my first premium...
WordPress design tweak results are in
Did you vote? I did. Did your vote win? Mine didn’t 🙁 Results. Advertisements
Automattic launches talkpress.com
I was just working on re-launching my forum in preparation of the new theme I am going to release sometime...
Acquisition of wp.com
Just announced by Matt himself, that they finally acquired wp.com from Yahoo. Head over to the WordPress.com blog, leave a...
powered by WassUp
Recent Posts: Fully Net Worth . com
Andrew Maxwell is an Irish comedian and narrator. He is the winner of the show called Kings of Comedy hosted by Russell Brand. He is best known for narrating the MTV reality series Ex on the Beach. Andrew is one of the contestants appearing on the English television show “I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of […]
Adele Roberts is a DJ and a personal assistant. She is known for being one of the cast members of the third edition of Big Brother in the United Kingdom. She is now one of the contestants to take part in television show “I’m a Celebrity..Get Me Out of Here!”. As of 2019, Adele Roberts […]
Jacqueline Mary Jossa is an English actress who is best known for her role in the character of Lauren Branning in the popular BBC soap opera called EastEnders. She is one of the celebrities participating in the nineteenth series of I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!. As of 2019, Jacqueline Jossa net worth is […]