With recession taking over majority of economies across the globe, securing your job has become the top most priority. The scenario is same across different verticals and for programmers it is even worse. As the resource pool of PHP developers is expanding, the crunch of right projects and jobs is also deepening. Organizations are paying emphasis on quality rather than quantity. It’s all about the survival of the fittest. Getting your hands on a handsomely paying project is not just a matter of luck. It also readily depends on the quality services rendered by you as a developer. A PHP web development project requires you to have in-depth knowledge of the language and deploy industry best practices. As you scan your clientele in hope of grabbing onto the next breakthrough project, here are some coding best practices that can get you through the stringent quality evaluations of even the daintiest clients:
- Get Friendly with Single Quoted Strings: Using single quotes over double quotes gives you a marginal performance benefit, especially if you are coding some intricate project. A PHP string that is surrounded in double quotes is misinterpreted as variables and special characters by PHP interpreter. If you want a single string output, it is best to use single quotes. It enhances the performance of your PHP application as the string doesn’t get parsed.
- Don’t Use Regular Expressions Unnecessarily: Keep safe distance from ereg and preg function groups as and when possible, especially if you are performing basic string operations. When str_replace and strtr functions are faster than preg_replace ,why do you wish to stick with old school functions? Move on and save your application from those crunch cycles.
- Short Open Tags are a Big No-No: Are you still torturing your PHP application with short tags? It time you show some mercy. <? Is just a bad code form and creates conflict with XML parsers. It will also annoy people who will try modifying your code in PHP directives. So, you won’t find even a single justification for using open tags. Use full tags instead and let your application breathe.
- Keep Functions out of Loop Declarations: Using functions inside loops is not a great idea. It is annoying to see how some developers stake the performance of the application to save an extra line of code. If you use a function inside a loop, it will get executed as and when iteration initiates. If you have a bigger loop, this will mean you are increasing the execution time, which is not a bit user-friendly.
- Document Your Code: You might have heard it a hundred times, but it in no means depreciates its value. Documenting your code means you value your hard work as well as your client’s investment in the programming phase. Many organizations will hire you just on the basis of your documentation habits.
- Variable Initialization is a Must: If you don’t initialize a variable, PHP will create it automatically, but it is best not to rely on this feature. The code becomes sloppy and god forbids if you have to track down the initiating point of the variable, you will have scan through the entire code. Moreover, incrementing of an uninitialized variable takes more time than that of initialized variable. So, it’s best to initialize a variable.
PHP web development can be a tricky job, especially when so many others are keeping a watch, waiting to grab any opportunity that comes their way. It is best to follow best practices and adhere to stringent quality standards, to rapidly increase your client base.
Author :- Steve Graham is an expert in PHP Web Development, who has been blogging on the niche for last 6 years. Currently, he is associated as a freelancer with a PHP development firm that deals in PHP Development Outsourcing.
Random Search Terms
Steve Souders, speeding up themes [notes]
Steve Souders, who currently works at Google is here to talk about speeding up your themes. Some overview notes WhySlow...
The state of the Press
I might like to start off by saying Happy Birthday WordPress. I don’t have any notes from Matt’s presentation, just...
Podcasting with Dave Moyer
Planning Who let you in? Format Daily Weekly Monthly Hour/half hour A show’s Outline – Intro -What is this thing?...
Cooking with BuddyPress
I’m sitting downstairs at WordCamp 2009 in San Fransisco. Up on stage right now, Andy Peatling creator of BuddyPress. BuddyPress...
powered by WassUp
Recent Posts: Fully Net Worth . com
Jessica Eye Net Worth Jessica Eye is popularly known as an MMA fighter. She is a pound-for-pound fighter and has begun her professional career with a 15-7 win-loss record. Jessica was born in July of 1986 in Ohio. On December 7, 2012, Jessica won a significant bout with a technical submission win over Zoila Gurgel. […]
Amalaratna Zandile Dlamini, who is better known by her stage name as Doja Cat, is an American rapper, songwriter, and record producer. She is best known for her hit song called “Mooo!” which was released in 2018. Recently, she released her second album called Hot Pink. As of 2019, Doja Cat net worth is estimated […]
Passion Jonesz is an American YouTube star. She is best known for largely focusing on clothes and cosmetics-related content on her channel. As of 2019, Passion Jonesz net worth is estimated to be $400,000. Jonesz was born on March 12, 1992, in the United States. Very limited information is available on her including her early […]