With recession taking over majority of economies across the globe, securing your job has become the top most priority. The scenario is same across different verticals and for programmers it is even worse. As the resource pool of PHP developers is expanding, the crunch of right projects and jobs is also deepening. Organizations are paying emphasis on quality rather than quantity. It’s all about the survival of the fittest. Getting your hands on a handsomely paying project is not just a matter of luck. It also readily depends on the quality services rendered by you as a developer. A PHP web development project requires you to have in-depth knowledge of the language and deploy industry best practices. As you scan your clientele in hope of grabbing onto the next breakthrough project, here are some coding best practices that can get you through the stringent quality evaluations of even the daintiest clients:
- Get Friendly with Single Quoted Strings: Using single quotes over double quotes gives you a marginal performance benefit, especially if you are coding some intricate project. A PHP string that is surrounded in double quotes is misinterpreted as variables and special characters by PHP interpreter. If you want a single string output, it is best to use single quotes. It enhances the performance of your PHP application as the string doesn’t get parsed.
- Don’t Use Regular Expressions Unnecessarily: Keep safe distance from ereg and preg function groups as and when possible, especially if you are performing basic string operations. When str_replace and strtr functions are faster than preg_replace ,why do you wish to stick with old school functions? Move on and save your application from those crunch cycles.
- Short Open Tags are a Big No-No: Are you still torturing your PHP application with short tags? It time you show some mercy. <? Is just a bad code form and creates conflict with XML parsers. It will also annoy people who will try modifying your code in PHP directives. So, you won’t find even a single justification for using open tags. Use full tags instead and let your application breathe.
- Keep Functions out of Loop Declarations: Using functions inside loops is not a great idea. It is annoying to see how some developers stake the performance of the application to save an extra line of code. If you use a function inside a loop, it will get executed as and when iteration initiates. If you have a bigger loop, this will mean you are increasing the execution time, which is not a bit user-friendly.
- Document Your Code: You might have heard it a hundred times, but it in no means depreciates its value. Documenting your code means you value your hard work as well as your client’s investment in the programming phase. Many organizations will hire you just on the basis of your documentation habits.
- Variable Initialization is a Must: If you don’t initialize a variable, PHP will create it automatically, but it is best not to rely on this feature. The code becomes sloppy and god forbids if you have to track down the initiating point of the variable, you will have scan through the entire code. Moreover, incrementing of an uninitialized variable takes more time than that of initialized variable. So, it’s best to initialize a variable.
PHP web development can be a tricky job, especially when so many others are keeping a watch, waiting to grab any opportunity that comes their way. It is best to follow best practices and adhere to stringent quality standards, to rapidly increase your client base.
Author :- Steve Graham is an expert in PHP Web Development, who has been blogging on the niche for last 6 years. Currently, he is associated as a freelancer with a PHP development firm that deals in PHP Development Outsourcing.
Random Search Terms
WordPress 2.8 beta 2 now available
WordPress announced the release of 2.8 beta 2, download it or check out the changes since beta 1.
Simple double listed columns
I’ve been asked before on how to display categories in multiple columns. Well, WPRecipes has posted a code snippet for...
WP Web Host launches WPMU hosting plans
Just announced by the WPWebHost Team, they have launched a brand new hosting plan for WordPress MU: WP Buddy Plan:...
The release of Galleria, a gallery child theme of Hybrid
As the WordPress community grows, so does the amount of available themes. Galleria is a gallery-style child theme for WordPress...
powered by WassUp
Recent Posts: Fully Net Worth . com
Alexander Hedges Steinberg also known by the stage name Sasha Velour is an American drag queen and artist. Velour is best known for winning the 9th season of RuPaul’s Drag Race. As of 2019, Sasha Velour net worth is estimated to be $2.5 million. Velour was born on June 25, 1987, in Berkeley, California as the only child of Mark […]
Jay Evan Jackson also known by Laganja Estranja is an American choreographer and drag queen. She is best known for competing in the sixth season of RuPaul’s Drag Race where she finished eighth. As of 2019, Laganja Estranja net worth is estimated to be $1.5 million. Laganja was born on December 28, 1988, in Dallas, […]
Alison Hammond is an English television personality who is known for presenting ITV’s ‘This Morning’ as the showbiz reporter. As of 2019, Alison Hammond net worth is estimated to be $1.5 million. Hammond was born on February 5, 1979, in Birmingham, England. Her father is Nevisian and her mother is Guyanese. Before she became famous she was a […]